Friday, August 7, 2009

Spit (the island, that is)

On the last day, I was determined (and FINALLY had time) to venture out to the island of Spit for the last 4 hours until my bus to Vilnius. I walked down to the dock and bought the very inexpensive ticket for the 10 minute ferry ride to Spit. I walked through the nature (there was hardly anyone on the island!) and out to the Sea Museum where, to my dismay, I found out it was not open! People were going out but not in. I was so mad. All I wanted to do was go to the stinkin Sea Museum. I tried to ask the guard what was happening but he just waved his hand at me and walked away. Ahhhh so frustrating. At least I got a couple good pics of the seals playing in the water. For the rest of my time on the island, I did a lot of walking around. I walked through the woods for about 20 minutes (encountering no one on the way) until I reach the beachside and I was the only one on it for miles. Understandably so, though; it was cold and dreary out today. But still, it was a liberating feeling to be the only person there for miles.

I crawled out from the woods and took the ferry back in order to catch my boat. I had found a new taxi driver the day before who was awesome, and he spoke English very well and helped me out wherever he could. We said our goodbyes and he helped me get settled on my little bus to Vilnius. As I started to get comfortable, I snuggled into nap mode and was very happy I decided not to rent a car to take to Vilnius.

No comments:

Post a Comment