Friday, August 7, 2009

You speaka da english?

While eating a yummy dinner (salad with quail eggs and anchovies in it), I met a younger Lithuania who had studied at the American University here in Klaipeda. I didn’t even know there was one! He told me I should go, they would love me there haha. Unfortunately, I didn’t get a chance to. He also told me he had worked in Boston for a moving company two summers in a row. I didn’t believe him (especially because him and his friends were drunk and blowing horns all over town), but then when he started talking about the roads and towns in Boston, I was surprised. Him and his horn-blowing friends left (man I could hear this even in my hotel room into the wee hours, it was so annoying!) and as an after-dinner drink, I ordered a B-52. Little did I know that a B-52 was a shot that came flaming. I promptly, and a little embarrassed, blew it out and sipped on it. So lame.

My driver today was pretty awesome. He didn’t speak a word of English (what’s new) but he repeatedly called his poor friend who spoke English pretty well to be the go-between for the two of us. He really was trying his best to look out for me, and between the three of us, I even got a bus ticket for the right day and time to Vilnius for really cheap ($20, 3 hour drive – sounds like the Bolt Bus to NYC back home!) I hope his poor friend (over the phone) was already sitting there completely bored because we took up a good 2 hours of his time.

No comments:

Post a Comment