Friday, August 7, 2009

Trekkai and restaurants, and restaurants, and restaurants...

Today I went to Trekkai castle. It is very mid-evil here! Castles look like ones I built years and years ago with legos. Really cute area, not super exciting but I had my own personal tour guide which was really nice until they told me at the end of the trip that it was gonna cost 150 lt (instead of 100 which I was told I would pay) because I was the only one on the tour! In the beginning (after I got on the bus) they said it might be a little more because I was solo, but didn’t say how much more! So, unfortunately for them, I didn’t give an extra tip at the end. Too bad because the girl was very nice, and she was young too. It was interesting to hear her talk about the Soviet ways and how people just aren’t use to being independent. Stuck in their old ways; she even said that even she was in some ways.

When I got back from the tour, I spent the rest of my time walking around the Old Town and taking pictures. Overall, it was a very relaxing, wonderful day enjoying the city. This is why I survey!

I went to a couple great restaurants while I was here. One of them was La Provence. It is a French restaurant. There were all sorts of business people there while I was eating, so I tried to play mysterious and tried to pretend I was super-important amongst all the businessmen speaking English. But, I probably didn’t do very well.

On the last night, I had finished my survey and sat down to have a beer. I STUDIED the restaurant guide like only I can and decided that even though a little pricey, I really wanted to try a particular restaurant which was highly recommended. While sitting and having a beer (pre-restaurant departure), I met a couple of Finnish guys who were there on a bachelor party (one out of the two of them were getting married very soon!) Actually, the one getting married was a bit creepy, while the other one was really cool. The one about to get married mentioned to me that he was in an “open” relationship – (he clearly had other intentions for me), and this sketched me out a little bit. But, I mention that I was just about to leave to go for dinner (and was having good conversation with them at the time), so they asked if they would be able to join me, and I obliged. (What else do you say to that question anyways?) We arrive at the restaurant and immediately I feel like I don’t belong. I am in better shape (dress-wise) than the other two guys, but even still – they may have had one-too-many beers to be acceptable for this place. Either way, we sit down and prepare to eat some GREAT food. I get a 4 course meal and it is just amazing. My first course is smoked salmon which is cooking until the second I take the cover off, and dessert was a little strawberry compote that comes with a tube of sugar-frosting that looks like toothpaste that you can squeeze out yourself and regulate how much you put on. It really was just incredible, one of the most unique meals I have ever had. The reviews about it said “it was not just a meal, but an experience”. Boy do I agree! The guys were also very happy that I took them there, if they hadn’t met me they wouldn’t have gone there, they said. One of the guys said it was probably one of the best meals he had ever had.

That night, I got home late and a bit drunk and had an early flight so I decided not to sleep. This made me exhausted – while packing up I actually sat down for a second and passed out for 2 hours on my computer. I woke up just in time for my taxi call and got the taxi to the airport. I had trouble with the flight, though. I had bought this other sketchy little kid’s backpack for a REASON and that didn’t matter, apparently, to fly from Lithuania to Slovakia. Man, I really HATE European airline regulations on weight. I was over by, once again, 10 kilos and was going to have to pay a really hefty fine. Instead, I kinda stood there to see if there was anything the attendant could do, and she kindly cut it in half for me. Geez, can’t she understand that a girl traveling for 6 weeks around the world has a very difficult time toting around only 20 kilos?

I landed to Bratislava and promptly went to bed (this was early; like 10 am early!)

No comments:

Post a Comment