Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Ambassador's digits

The Intercontinental Hotel was lovely - the nicest I had been in so far. A resort-like pool was right outside surrounded by an outdoor restaurant which served sushi. It also had another restaurant that served dinner for breakfast (my fav.) and fresh-squeezed orange juice every morning - (well, amongst other juices but this was my favorite!) and also had employees who smiled and said "have a nice day Mrs. Basler" - (which eventually was changed to Ms. Basler) as I would leave the restaurant every morning. I felt important! The best part was knowing that they were all wondering what a young lady like me would be doing alone in plain clothes in such a nice hotel. The only people I met in the restaurant were governmental officials of sorts. I met men from the US treasury, I met a former employee of the Guatemala embassy, but the best encounter was a couple guys who sat directly to my left, and began talking to me. One only spoke spanish, but the other spoke perfect english. The one who spoke spanish was an older man, who I came to find out was the ambassador for the Dominican Republic. So, I turn to leave after a conversation in half spanish/half english and the ambassador offers me his cell phone number and his office number just in case I need anything. (I think he liked my dress...? ) Then it comes up that his friend (other guy at the table) lives in San Pedro Sula, where I was going next so he gives me his phone number too. I turned around and walked back up to my hotel room as I thought, really? I got an ambassador's digits? That's kinda cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment