Sunday, April 19, 2009

The strange people you meet

When in Tegucigalpa, I met a lot of really nice people - that was one of my favorite parts about Latin America in general. But importantly, I learned that if I ever want to get work done, the worst thing I can do is hang out alone anywhere in public. I don't think I've been successful once at getting anything done around a slew of people who are just itching to know why this young girl is hanging out alone at the bar, in the lobby, by the pool - wherever I happen to be. One night I was trying to finish up copying some prices into my work book when a Mexican guy started talking to me. He was sorta like an expat in Mexico, he had been here for a year and my impression was that he didn't have any friends. But, he mentioned how lucky he was at least to have a job. We talked and talked, in english (he wanted to practice) and he seemed just heartbroken when I said I should go back to the hotel. "Well, maybe we can get a drink at your hotel?" He said. But, I had to work and go to bed. No time. "Well I can drive you around this weekend to stores, or we could go out to this restaurant that I think you would like, I have a membership at Costco and we can go there and I can help you...." This guy BEGGED to help me out. Needless to say, after a few e-mails and phone calls I got creeped out and thought I would make up excuses instead. I didn't want this guy driving me around.

No comments:

Post a Comment