Friday, April 24, 2009

Israel day 1

Today was a rather uneventful day, after the initial waking up and realizing huh, ohhhhhhh ya, I'm in Israel, completely alone! I planned on a super productive day, made it to breakfast before they broke it down, and had my second kosher meal in a row. There was a marathon going on outside the breakfast window that overlooked the beach. Not a bad view. I eventually made it back upstairs after a second helping of the Meditteranean salad (which as of tonight I have had with my meal 3 times in a row) and that was when my confusion started. Apparently Friday is the start of Shabbat (which is the same as sabbath, as we know it). In short, and most importantly, this means that no one actually works on Fridays, nor Saturdays. But Sunday does in fact have normal business hours. I finally figured out how exactly it worked when a bunch of phone calls proved just about completely fruitless and there was no one to fix my impossible to open mini-bar. (No I wasn't going for an afternoon cerveza, just a water). But, well, I may as well have been because I had little I could get done anyways. I planned to head out to a mall, but they all closed early as well (4pm was the latest I could find, and it was 2:30 by this time.) So, I took my own Shabbat and took a 2 hour nap. The restaurant wasn't open tonight because of Shabbat, and neither was the gym. I had quite a long time to organize all the stuff that I was GOING to do once everyone stopped their weekly rest. Tomorrow, one of the malls I need to go to claims to open at 10 am, so hopefully I will have more luck then.

No comments:

Post a Comment