Sunday, April 19, 2009

SPS in a nutshell

San Pedro Sula, Honduras was not as eventful as Tegucigalpa was. I got in on a very unusually rainy evening, so rainy the streets were flooding everywhere. The city was similar. There were still security men with guns everywhere and my taxi cabs all still had tinted windows for protection. Plus, at a whopping 5'3", I was still one of the tallest people around.

I stayed in an Intercontinental again, but it wasn't as nice as the one in Tegucigalpa. The bed was just as great though. The people in SPS were nicer than in Tegucigalpa. I met a guy who owned a car dealership and took me around personally to everyone that I needed to talk to, and meanwhile told me all about his adventures in going to school in Germany and tried speaking in German to me but I told him in spanish that I couldn't speak German. Outside the same dealership, an older man (like 75 years old, older) started hitting on me and gave me his number so that we could hang out later. Seriously.

I befriended two store managers - one which sends me emails now in spanglish because he wants to practice writing the words he knows in english, which isn't many. The other one (a lady) wanted my phone number for if she moves to California, because then she'll have a friend in the United States. Maybe she didn't realize how far away California was from Boston. But, she bought me a burrito dinner at the grocery store (which was surprisingly very good, but she told me not to have too many of them cause they would make me fat), and then as I was working she would continuously come up to me and start talking, or just stand next to me. As I was waiting for my taxi outside, she brought me more snacks from the grocery store. Very nice lady. Also, my taxi driver who I only used on one particular day calls me now every other day, still - and tells me he is very happy to hear my voice, and asks me how I am. Before he hangs up, he never fails to say "God bless you" in english.

Aside from the beds, the other great thing about Intercontinentals is the FOOD! Fresh-squeezed juice of every kind was available daily. There weren't a whole lot of places to eat, so I ate at the hotel a lot cause the food was so good. One night during dinner I met a doctor from Belize, who talked way too much but he sure was a smart guy. Another night, there were a couple older men sitting next to me and one said "buen provecho" to me when he walked by - after my convo with Fausto, I knew that I was being hit on. So, as anticipated, he kept asking me questions and invited me to have a few beers with them. But, I had plans with one of the younger real estate agents to go out for drinks, so I couldn't stay anyways. After getting ready to go, I ran into them on the way out and realized one of them would be on my flight the next day to Costa Rica (the one that wasn't talking much). The other guy told me to stop by when I got home and knock on his door and have a beer. Really? Regardless, I went out and had a great time, had too much to drink, and of course didn't knock on his door when I got home. It's a miracle that I even woke up the next morning, and after waking up late, it was another miracle that I made it to the airport before the airplane took off.

No comments:

Post a Comment