Saturday, January 16, 2010

Seat belts, nazi symbols and language barriers

It’s amazing how many seat belt comments I have gotten on survey. One taxi driver yelled at me NOT to wear it even though we were going fast, weaving through traffic during congestion during rush hour time. I really don’t understand these taxi drivers, do they really just have that much faith in themselves?

We were in a grocery store one day when I noticed a cup of noodles that had the nazi signs on it! I was in complete disbelief so I took a picture. Little did we know… the smart Laurel informed me that the backwards nazi symbol was actually a sign of Buddhism. What a coincidence…

Edit and I went to AIG because we needed a quote for car insurance. So, we take the elevator all the way up to the top and walk in to the really nice office where we are greeted by two girls who became giggly when they realized we spoke English not Chinese. “Hello, we would like to speak with someone about car insurance?” OK the girl says, and puts us into a conference room and brings us green tea. A few minutes later, in walks a man who says “Hi, you have a meeting with Carl ****?” Edit and I look at each other and start cracking up. No no no, CAR Insurance! Unfortunately, this guy wasn’t able to help us but he told us where to go. That’s language barrier for you! Chinese symbols are just amazing. It’s so intriguing how people communicate with symbols; their details are so intricate so it’s unbelievable to see people write them quicker than we would write a word made from the alphabet.

No comments:

Post a Comment