Tuesday, February 3, 2009

First impressions

I arrived at the airport and stood in an unorganized line to check in at "customs". Meanwhile, we had one blackout (which I soon realized happens frequently). Then they took my passport from me and told me to come back tomorrow. Thank goodness my co-worker warned me this would happen.

I went outside and there were about 50 people crowding the door, waiting for someone to come out. It was chaos. Luckily before stepping outside I saw a guy with a sign that read "Maurin" and figured it was for me. So I waved, he took a bag, and everything was OK.

The poverty was shocking. People were living in scores in torn-down buildings, if not then makeshift houses with dirt floors. I have never seen so many people just hanging out in the streets with no where to go, nothing to do. It's dirty everywhere. My favorite part was seeing the women walking around with the baskets on their heads. I've always seen it in books, but it was so cool to see in person!

So then when I got to the hotel I electrocuted myself for the first time ever. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment