Wednesday, February 18, 2009

So backwards

I was in an expensive store downtown with my driver, and we were walking around, checking out the men’s and women’s clothing, when a woman approaches us and asks my driver if he speaks Portuguese. She starts scolding him, almost yelling at him, and my first reaction was, uh oh. Time for me to go, she doesn’t like me writing down prices. Or so I thought. When she was done yelling at my driver he says to me, do you want to finish? As in, shall we keep going? So I say yes, everything OK? He says yes, yes. I noticed, however; that for the rest of our time in that store there was a woman that nearly followed us around everywhere, and my driver kept asking her for prices instead of looking at the tags. I had no idea what was going on. OK…… so we get back in the car and he says, that lady was mad that we were walking around, we look and we look, but we were not asking for help. She said we have people that work here and that is their job to help us. He explained to her that we did ask someone for prices, but apparently his job was to mop the floors, not help with the prices of items , and we were suppose to know that! Man, Africa is so backwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment