Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Translation problems and disappointing cuisine.

The women in Luanda are stunning. Most are very tall, thin, and have beutiful features. Also, I noticed that the men have very nice long eyelashes. Is that weird?

I was in a grocery store and noticed a shirt on the rack that said "He's shit" pointing to the right. I wonder who will eventually end up wearing that shirt, and hope it's not a child! I also witnessed a worker belting out the american songs playing in the store. He tried so hard to sound like they did over the radio, but he clearly didn't know english. Neither did he mind that I was standing right next to him. It kept me amused for quite a while. Then I was in a restaurant and noticed skunk and lobster on the menu. No worries, it was a translation mistake; should have been shrimp and lobster. Pretty funny regardless.

If only the food in Luanda was good, but it's not. It's atrocious. Everything tastes old and you wonder what has been refrigerated and what hasn't. I went out for drinks with my driver's supervisor (whom we have used before for a driver) and had some cuca beer - which is the national beer of Angola. They are very proud of it. It tastes like budweiser. They served a small appetizer plate of some sort of meat. So I try one. GROSS!! It was chewy like I was munching on cartiledge and bones. I asked Carlos what it was and he said it was from a chicken and was pointing to the stomach area. I didn't want to know anything more about what it was. I swallowed a few of them to be polite, but ate as few as possible. The hotel food which cost me $110 for dinner wasn't much better. I had the buffet and tried a little bit of everything. I left everything on my plate except for the plain sauteed spaghetti with a few capers thrown in. Very sad. I thought I'd give it one more try and went out to dinner another night at one of the nicest restaurants in the area with my driver and ordered garlic shrimp. The veggetables that came with it were frozen ones from a bag that were heated up, probably in the microwave. And the shrimp smelled. I couldn't eat much of my dinner. I guess I assumed correct when I said I would lose weight in Africa!

2 comments:

  1. I would have loved to see a plate at a restaurant that you left food on!! Good thing you were only there a week!!!

    ReplyDelete