Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Most expensive place in the world...

So today I ate lunch out of the hotel. I ordered spaghetti with tuna and capers, and some sparkling water. They automatically put appetizers on my table; cured meats and potato-seafood dumplings. My bill: 70 USD. No joke. Proof that Luanda is the most expensive place in the world.

I have realized that the most challenging thing is remembering not to use the tap water for brushing my teeth, and dealing with smells. The fish department at the grocery store does not smell appetizing and flies land all over the "fresh" vegetables. One of the grocery stores I was in doesn't refrigerate eggs, and yogurt. It is so disgusting. People smell. And outside smells too. They don't have proper sewage, so disgusting fluid is all around - though the sewage smell is not as bad as it sounds. Although, I know there are some people (notably Kym) who wouldn't be able to step foot outside the hotel, haha.

I saw a disfigured man today. He walked on all fours with his butt in the air. It was very sad, very disturbing. I also saw a man with disfigured hands - they are unusable. I can't imagine living like this. I wonder if this is a side-effect from the civil war. One of my co-workers told me that landmines still exist around the outskirts of the city, and to expect to see disfigured people. I won't be going there.

On a lighter note... my driver speaks little english. He told me he has three sons. Then he said, my three sons are girls. I refrained from smiling.

1 comment:

  1. Loving the blog Lbal...especially my shout out!! Glad that you are writing this all down! We are all amped to read it! Can you post pics?! Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete