Tuesday, February 3, 2009

On arrival to Angola

So I finally make it in to the Brussels airport, tired - and going on flight 3; the longest leg of the trip on the way to Africa. Getting off the plane I make my way up the ramp, and see someone through the window in the waiting room waving at me. I'm a little confused, but I wave back but realize that I need to go in there, and hope I don't have some random guy try to talk to me. So I continue on my way through the gate to wait for my flight to Luanda, Angola. I sit down, and momentarily this guy approaches me and asks about where I am going. I tell him I am going to Luanda for work. He says, "yes I know. We work together".

Duh.

Great start to my trip. This is my co-worker from Brussels, he just started as a surveyor in our Brussels office but spent TWO WEEKS training in Boston. Though I give him major props for recognizing ME since I looked completely disheveled after spending the morning trying not to be sick after waking up drunk, packing my bags (you should have seen what my bag looked like when I opened it at the hotel), and getting dressed last minute. Screw makeup, and my hair was a mess. Anyways, Matteo and I were on the same flight. Who would have thought. After stopping in Luanda, it continued an hour later to Kinshasa. The flight was not even a quarter full so I sat near Matteo, but still had a full 4 seats to myself.

It was hard to leave Matteo. I was scared, nervous and excited to be here in Africa. i had no idea what to expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment