Friday, July 24, 2009

Life is Much Better With Permission

The next day I was exhausted. I got up in time to catch breakfast but then went back to bed until 1 – (which, I had lost an hour from when I was in Croatia which I swear, 1 and 2 hour losses are so much more difficult than 3+!) Once I was able to peel myself out of bed, I walked to my realtor appointment and then to a grocery store. The first grocery store went really well. After starting to survey with the book open, I had a manager ask what I was doing, but then he left me alone when he couldn’t understand what I was saying in English. About an hour later, a couple young girls approached me (they spoke English) and I told them in English what I was doing. They said normally taking prices was prohibited, but they think that what I was doing would be OK. Phew. Survey life is so much better with permission! After this was cleared up and they understood my goal, one of the girls explained to me that she thought Lithuania was more expensive than most of Europe. Little does she know it’s completely the opposite. I find it interesting that almost everyone in their own country think it is more expensive there than it is in most of the rest of the world.

The first two realtor appointments were a bit disappointing. The first guy had a hard time understanding my questions, and the second guy was nice but gave me so much information that I felt maybe I kept him for too long. By the end, he left in a hurry and didn’t even take the gift I gave him, until I tracked him down and made him take it. The third appointment went well, which I really needed. It was with a guy who had learned how to speak English when he was living for some time in the Middle East and had an English roommate. He didn’t have much time to practice speaking English, so he was very happy to meet with us year after year and get some practice in.

No comments:

Post a Comment