Friday, July 3, 2009

Life outside of Tel Aviv

Aside from Tel Aviv, our experiences were amazing. Unfortunately, we were so busy that I didn't take too many notes while we were out - but we took a 2 day tour of Masada, The Dead Sea, and Jerusalem, and stayed overnight in Jerusalem. Masada was fascinating - a civilization high, high up on a plateau (only God knows how they got there). The tour guide recounted the battles between the Christians and the Jews, the last of which the leader ordered the men to kill all their wives and children so they wouldn't have to become slaves. Then we went to the Dead Sea where I debated floating, (because of my skin and eczema I do have cuts), but I did, and boy did it sting. But, you could visibly see the minerals and oils floating around in the water. I beared it because I knew it had to be a good thing! Floating in the water, it was unbelievable how weightless you felt, and how soft and smooth my skin was after leaving the water.

That night, we went to bed satisfied after an amazing dinner at a French Bistro in downtown Jerusalem. At first, we had a very hard time finding somewhere to eat because it was Sabbath (and most places, even restaurants! Are closed for Sabbath).

The next day we walked the steps of Jesus, saw the quarters where the Christians, Jews and Muslims live in harmony now, and I learned so much history that I couldn't keep up with nearly all of it. It was very touching to hear all the stories growing up through the bible, and actually see where it all took place. We touched the wailing wall, and blessed ourselves at the Holy Sepulchre where Jesus' body is said to be buried. Speechless. A great experience. Beth and I were now ready to take on Croatia.

No comments:

Post a Comment