Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Fear of food? How in this world is that possible? (Unless you are like me and can be killed by them, of course..)

I learned today, that in St. Thomas, you must a) buckle your seatbelt if you are in the front and b) NOT drive while talking on your cell phone – but – it is perfectly acceptable to drink alcohol while driving. I didn’t think it made sense either. To recap, you must wear your seatbelt in the front in Gambia. In Haiti, there is no need to buckle up (apparently – even though they drive like maniacs), and also – the drivers here seem to rather you didn’t buckle up, for whatever reason that may be.

My realtor set me up today with one of her agents - Nick. It was pretty random actually – which is fine cause that’s how I roll (Ha Nick says this all the time). He happened to call while I was talking to her and she said what are you doing tonight? You must take Lauren out – even before she asked me what I was up to. So, we went for some drinks and some food (though I had really just eaten dinner, not knowing that when we made plans it was suppose to be for dinner). Nick has never tried wine before. In fact, he has a fear of trying new foods. Like a phobia. I think it’s hilarious. He told me the #1 rule was to never pick up a hitchhiker. I actually saw 2 today for the first time. Nick was a cool guy – he was going to come with me to St. John but he ended up having bad luck with the jeep he was buying and he had to take care of some appointments. I didn’t see him again, but I do wish him goodluck. He learned to live with the oddities of living on a vacation island, and eventually fell in love with it – but it took him quite a while to get there, including once when his bag was packed and he was leaving, and he was convinced to stay by the real estate agent I met with, Kerstin.

I went to eat something, and it was happy hour – so apparently you get 2 drinks for the price of one. I got 2 mango mojitos at once and almost wasn’t able to drive home. Rather, I shouldn’t have driven home. It’s OK that I did, by law here though.

No comments:

Post a Comment