Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Guns not allowed

Today I got up and went to the gym, which felt good, but tiring. Then I had a great shower and a breakfast and proceeded to head out; I was already feeling overwhelmed by the amount of information I hadn’t started to collect yet. I hired a driver and I was off. I was feeling hesitant and nervous at first, after the warnings and nervousness I had received from everyone, but all-in-all, I have to say, I might even like Haiti, relatively speaking (despite the large guns not allowed signs EVERYWHERE) and the guards with weapons standing at every single doorway. Even they speak only French and Creole and can’t understand a word I say, they are all very friendly, and really don’t ask many questions. When I was at the grocery store today the manager offered me food and invited me to take any products without a price to my own personal check-out isle so I could check the prices with no delay. Not bad. He really was super nice. You don’t get many managers who are very happy to have you surveying their store, and with competition such an issue here, I was wondering if he was viewing my visit as a supporting gesture towards the store, like I was going to promote it to expats. He can think that.

I can’t believe how expensive it is here. I was told by my French friend that they want to pass a law making 5 USD minimum wage here in Haiti (per day) but there is a lot of opposition from people who want to make it 2 USD instead. Also, the cost of goods here are ridiculously expensive, much more expensive than in the USA. No wonder everyone here is dirt poor.

I was starving all day but came home and had a really lovely fish dinner at the hotel and watched some latin dancing from the crowd on the “stage” of the restaurant. I think it was really a get-together birthday for one of the ladies in the crowd. It’s amazing to watch latin women dance, they are just so good at it. Everytime I see it I want to learn to dance like that. I ate at the salad bar tonight so I really hope I don’t get sick tomorrow, though I think I will be fine. I might go to dinner with my friench friend tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment