Wednesday, September 9, 2009

FYI Mom I'm getting married on Monday

Internet sucks here. I need to pay my bills eventually. I got a really hard-to-pass up offer by a Haitian French lawyer tonight (born in Haiti, mainly grew up in France). First and most importantly, he made it clear he wanted me to be his lover for the weekend, and then maybe I could move to Miami where he lives, and we could have a house in Cape Cod, travel the world together, maybe get married Monday, and of course, being French, there would always be a nice French meal made when I got home from work every day, with wine, cheese and lovely French music playing in the background, and don’t forget there would be the flowers in my bedroom on a normal basis, and I would never need to pay for anything. I had to listen to all of this starting on my way to dinner (which was where I was stopped) through dinner until he had to go get ready for a party. I could have been very forcefully blunt and mean to him, but I really thought all of it was quite amusing so I hung around to see what he would say next. Despite the fact that “I have been in a serious relationship for a year and a half” this didn’t even scratch the surface when I was trying to give him reasons why I wouldn’t just shack up in his bedroom with him. Quite forward, I have to say – maybe expected being French, and I certainly can see why he is a lawyer. He just doesn’t give up until you inch towards a yes. But I was not inching! It took him way too long before he let me go. And I’m sure I’ll hear a lot more of it tomorrow. Oh, and apparently he’s a rich, reputable lawyer in Miami. And, his Haitian friends carry loaded guns around in their pants. I saw them myself – my friend soon-to-be-husband (on Monday) whose name I don’t even know made sure to flash them for me.

Ahhhh Haiti. I actually kinda like it here. It has character, and flare. It’s so very colorful. People are pretty friendly, and I love my hotel – give me a beautiful view and I can put up with a lot. But the government is beyond corrupt. There is a very large disparity between those that are well-off and those who are poor. And those who are well off could give a rat’s ass that there are thousands and thousands of people living here off of $2/day, while the cost of an average fast-food meal itself is about $15. Even my French husband confirmed that his Haitian friends live in luxury, and don’t care about those who are dirt-poor. It’s sad. Luckily, it’s said to be much safer here over the past couple years – the kidnapping gangs have been driven out so it’s not nearly the problem it use to be. But still, security is very tight (despite the lack of all infrastructure, even banks scan you with a metal detector before you can enter), and there are pictures everywhere indicating “NO GUNS ALLOWED HERE”. Like that would actually make a difference.

Tonight at the reception desk I actually met a guy who lives in Brookline. Go figure. He was here on business too, and it was his first time here. He appeared to be stoned, or really tired. I couldn’t really tell. Anyways, maybe he can save me from creepy French man in the coming days. We already realized that we have the same flight to Miami on Wed. I already have dinner plans tomorrow night with the other nice French older man to go to the typical Haitian restaurant. He told me that I can’t go there alone, a young blonde girl. Though I’m sure two white people walking in won’t be that much better, though at least he’s French and can speak/understand it.

No comments:

Post a Comment