Saturday, October 9, 2010

All you need to know is that I ate at the Poop Deck

For the rest of the trip, I ended up renting a car which was hugely appropriate. A bus was no longer going to cut it in the strange middle of nowhere places I was going due to time and safety, but especially time. The steering wheel in this car was on the left side (as I’m accustomed to) but I had to remember to keep left while driving. This really, truly messes me up – while back in the US I always need to second-guess myself when it comes to driving. Which side of the road am I suppose to be on? Driving in Nassau was a little bit less intimidating than I had expected. I met with my very last realtor who was extremely nice but spent hours and hours showing me some very irrelevant pictures of rental properties. I really didn’t have the heart to tell him that he was wasting both of our time. Granted, the market is saturated with expats renting properties in Nassau, but there were so many realtors located here that they have too much time on their hands – well this is what it seemed to me. Work for the rest of the day consisted of getting car prices, and checking out hotels in the area all of which were much better than my own. That evening I finished it all up and ended with dinner at the Poop Deck. Yup, you heard me right. The atmosphere looked fun and I needed a drink. There is no better feeling than the one you get when the survey is done and you know you can start to relax. Turns out, I had one of the best snapper I have ever tried at the Poop Deck. (As I usually do,) I asked the waiter what he would recommend and the super-fresh, caught-that-day snapper was his answer; sautéed with some evoo, lemon, pepper… he sold it to me for a market-price deal of $26. This actually is pretty decent; Bahamas restaurant prices are pretty steep. To boot, the waiter sat down with me (maybe he felt bad cause I was alone, or maybe he just thought I was cute) and we chatted for a while. He told me he worked also at the Atlantis (shhhhh) as a DJ and had some pretty cool experiences through them; including being sent to Miami and NYC for the sole purpose of checking out the music scene and what they play. He told me he was DJing the very next day at the Atlantis and I should come see him (maybe for some free drinks). My plan for the next day was to check out the Atlantis anyways, so I told him I would. It was an awesome end to my survey work. Now I could look forward to playtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment