Saturday, October 9, 2010

Checking out the scene, 3rd world beach paradise

I arrived and checked out the scene. It was a cute little hotel, nothing like the resorts that looked like mansions compared to mine, but it was cute and comfortable and clean and the backdoor went right out to the pool. I had some time to kill and some work to finish so I went to one of the restaurants across the street to finish up some work. I was there until it closed. Drunkards surrounded me, an interesting mix of locals and visitors. I had a few sober (me) to drunk (them) conversations with some entertaining people, a couple of which had lived here all their lives. I could deal with that. One girl I talked to, her mother opened a travel agency on the island years ago. Well before the commercial airport had been built. I’m not really quite sure how that works, and I’m sure that would have taken much more time than I had given the work I was trying to finish.

The store manager today at the only nice grocery store on the island told me about all the celebrities coming in doing their grocery shopping dressed in their disguises. I want to see one! I love T&C. I haven’t even seen the ocean yet…. I just really love the smalltown feel that it holds. The downtown and the resort areas are completely different worlds. You forget that not everyone here is wealthy rich and in fact, there is a good share of poverty here. And workers have a lax attitude and no one picks up the damn phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment