Saturday, October 9, 2010

FEB 2010: Welcome to San Fran!

San Francisco’s sure got charm and character. I just arrived today half-awake and already I can tell I will be enjoying my stay. I stayed up last night a little too late (well, it was a crazy weekend and to top it off I went to an Ani Difranco concert which got me home at 11pm but had my body all out of whack since my body was in super-excited mode to see her. We got home around 11 and I spent between 11 and 4 finishing up a few things and especially finishing packing. This left me only an hour for sleeping. I didn’t realize how little sleep it would actually end up being. I didn’t get a ride from my regular taxi buddies this time around cause I tried contacting them too late. But, thankfully I made it on time to the airport and I had to fly United and it was a mess. The system for checking bags in was down so once checked in, we all had to make a very narrow line to check in our bags before we could make our way through security (which hasn’t changed at all despite everyone’s worries, in my opinion). I got an omelet for breakfast (it was so nice to not have to spend my own money once again), got on the plane, and passed the f out for the whole 6 hours. I can’t say that I was refreshed when I awoke, but I felt a little better than I did when I was getting on the plane. But, my skin still hurt, all over. Since your skin is an organ it just makes me shudder as to what this lack of sleep and screwing up of your whole system actually does to your body.
Anyway… I arrived at the Westin hotel and have a cute little room with two queen beds (which is convenient for Mom’s visit) and a much too comfortable bed. I got organized and set out to get some work done at my first grocery store. I walked around in amazement at what was in arm’s reach of my hotel room – including many of the major targets I needed. I had a good vibe, and it made me smile. I ventured to use the local bus system to get to the grocery store – successfully. Meanwhile, as I stood there waiting for the bus to approach with my $2 in hand a man walked up to me and gave me his transit card which he said was good until Feb. 3. I made it clear to him that I was very thankful and he made my day. It’s things like that which make the world go round, happily. Already I was noticing the interesting characters. But with these characters came unpleasant smells (like the man who sat near me with the long, pee-looking stained gray hair). Ewww… a hippy gone old and bad.
After (nearly) finishing my first grocery store, I met up with Mike and Nicole and saw their super cute apartment and then we ate down the street at a super delicious Italian restaurant. It was so nice to have some company (especially friends that I know I don’t get to see often). I felt good, I felt comfortable and I feel happy to be away from home for now. I’m excited for this week, let’s just hope I can get all the work done in good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment