Saturday, October 9, 2010

Bad Day in Bahamas

Today started out blah. I got some bad news, then more bad news, then more bad news. Nothing majorly effecting me, just enough to be a discouraging way to start a day knowing first that I had a lot of work in front of me, and second just being alone and having no one to distract you can also be difficult. And, it was raining! I was planning on walking to my first meeting, but so much for that idea. I tried to buy a bottle of wine before heading to my first meeting, but liquor store after liquor store was closed. Finally I caught the third one as they were closing down before 10 am to get a realtor gift. Why were they closing? Apparently it was election day and liquor stores can’t be open during election days! (There’s more reason to riot with a little liquor in you, apparently). Because of this setback, I was a little late. I stepped in a big pile of mud, and then my 2nd potential realtor meeting was “cancelled” because the realtor was sick. I was stressed and still had a lot in front of me. At the end of the first realtor meeting I actually managed to schedule, (a long-time contact), she literally rushed me out the door when I said I only had one more question. The meeting had only been 45 minutes which is short (well, on my standards). I was embarrassed but more like, it was just rude. I got cut-off and had to leave. She had already left the conference area. Times like those I wonder sometimes why I do this job. I walked around and did my thing collecting prices in the downtown and a dirty man with missing teeth begged me for a meal. Normally I ignore and walk by, but as I have said before, Bahamians are so nice and spiritual it’s hard to ignore them, plus I know food is so expensive here. This man was a painter/car washer (when there was no work). He hadn’t had any work that day. So, we walked to the local restaurant together (which literally caters only to locals) and I bought him a “cheap” meal for $10. That was my good deed for the day. I wasn’t sure if this made me feel better or worse. On the way back, a lady overheard me ask the missing toothed painter where a particular book shop was, so she walked me that way. Her goodbye advice was to stay around the main tourist locations. Come on girl, can’t you see the tough spirit of a girl who has seen much worse than the side streets of the Bahamas? Ha, if only my job allowed me to stay in such safe quarters…

No comments:

Post a Comment