Saturday, October 9, 2010

The last thing you want to hear is songs of prayer not to crash on your next flight.

It was finally my last night in the dingy hotel room. I was so rudely woken up at 9 am by that damn music teacher I had told my hotel to. They gave him my room number at the front desk. Just another reason not to trust those “cheap” island motels. After telling him I was still sleeping and it was nice to meet him but please GO AWAY, I went back to bed for a few before getting up and walking across the street to the small beach out front. Aside from the bright colors, the beach was nothing to brag about but I still hadn’t set foot on it despite that it was just across the way. I laid down and closed my eyes trying to get a wink of relaxation before it was time to move on. I was quickly awoken by an attractive black man who wanted to show me around. I love when I can honestly say that I’m leaving and don’t run the risk of running into someone again. Well I got the normal “do you have a boyfriend?” “yes I have a boyfriend.” “Have you ever been with a black man?” “No I haven’t been with a black man.” “Well you know what they say, once you go black you never go back.” My thoughts: Yep I’ve heard that one before. My Mom had mentioned to me she also heard that, only about two weeks ago. Ha!

After dropping off my rental car, I called my taxi friend, who I thought was totally not sketchy – all week. Course I was totally wrong. He told me I should come back some day. In fact, he would pay for my airfare and my hotel room and he would show me all around the island for the whole week. Riiiiiiiiiiight buddy, keep dreaming.

To aid in my fear of flying, on the way out to T&C, passengers broke out in songs of prayer to prevent the flight from crashing. Or, to bless their souls if it did. This was totally representative of the presence of religion between these two islands. From the gospel music in the grocery stores, to the majority of radio stations and the number of churches on the islands, it was fascinating to see the religious presence here. Maybe this is why everyone was so nice?

No comments:

Post a Comment