Saturday, October 9, 2010

Friendly, not lazy, couldn't ask for much more.

Everyone says how are you doing, darling? I wonder if the fact that a little blonde girl walking around alone in the sketchy downtown neighborhoods gains some respect in their eyes. But really, I have met some nice people on my travels, and I know I may say it over and over, but really; the Bahamian people are so very friendly. They go out of their way to help me out. And best of all – (which you often see south of the border) the majority of the people here are not lazy. I asked a boy (yes a boy – what age is working age here? I don’t know but I swear there was at least one 7 years old working) the price of a small bottle of soy sauce and he searched around everywhere; from books to calling other stores to get the price for me and came back to tell me almost a half hour later. That is dedication and service at its best. I even told him not to worry about it. After, I told him that the Bahamians were so very nice. He said they live by the theory of: treat others they way you would like to be treated. I wish everyone did that. Then the store manager bought me apples and oranges and drove me home because the taxi he called for me took too long. One thing I have felt about here, is that most places I go that are less well-off than the US the people seem to have a sense of resentment towards Westerners, or at least they try to take advantage of them. Here, it’s almost like they treat everyone the same. I feel respected here, like one of the locals even. That’s a very, very good thing. And, even better, people are more polite than they are even in the US! People actually say excuse me ALWAYS. It’s amazing. It’s wonderful. I’m not sure if they ever actually get mad. I have never once been anywhere that people have been so polite and patient. To further prove, there just is NO road rage. People beep if they want to be let in, to say please and thank you. What a great system!


I will no longer listen to advice from the men at my hotel. They told me it was fine to walk around into the downtown area at 10pm. Sunday it felt ok, there were lots of people out and about (President’s day weekend/Valentine’s day) but last night it was just deserted. I felt fine walking there but walking back I almost wanted to run. I had received a few comments from people driving and sitting in the shadows and it was not comfortable. I won’t be doing that again. I got back with my take-out and a Bahamian girl said to me, “you went there all by yourself on foot to get some food? Wow you are dedicated!” And just another justification why I won’t be walking alone again.

No comments:

Post a Comment