Saturday, October 9, 2010

You would think things would be better in the Bahamas...

Today was a frustrating day. Of course, I only slept 2 hours last night. I get to the airport and my boarding pass does not have a seat number. When I asked why, the lady said well, the flight was overbooked but 9.5 times out of 10 when this happens you will get your seat. So, the idiot I am, I get to the gate about 2 hours in advance and spend 1 hour and 15 minutes of it sitting and eating breakfast at Legal Seafoods and don’t even ask about it when I go to sit down. Dumb. When I’m finally the very last person to board the plane, I decide to mention that I don’t have a seat number. “We have been looking for you forever!” They say. Bullshit. I was sitting right there for the past 45 minutes! So, after some misunderstanding and frustrated chit chatter while holding up the DIRECT flight from Boston to Nassau, I was kicked off and re-booked on another flight that was going through Charlotte adding on another 3 hours to my would-have-been nice and quick transit time. Damnit and oh well.
Luckily my luggage was patiently waiting for me in an off-to-the-side pile at the airport and I had a friendly taxi driver who told me all about the island. He also mentioned that the way that Bahamians survive is through sharing everything amongst a group of people, especially money. Everyone works and they share the money they make; one week one person gets it, the second week another person gets it. It’s a traditional African way of life adopted in the Bahamas, apparently.
I had conch for dinner. Food here so far is pretty good! Though it was heavy; fried. I heard there were lots of great restaurants here so I’ll be checking them out. There are also lots of resorts with restaurants too… I will have to stop by them at some point to get prices anyways, so there is some high-class munching to be done anyways.
My hotel is pretty ghetto. I found a black hair in my bed. There are bars on my window. We already had a blackout at the hotel. The appearance is just dirty. I guess that’s what you get for $120/night in the cheapest room of a crappy hotel in Nassau. Luckily, I do have free internet though. Too bad this would only matter if I actually had to pay for it myself. I’m sleeping with my lights on tonight; and every night to come in that room, that is if they don’t black out again anyways. At least I’m in “warm” (70 degree) Nassau, right? I hope I get some sun to prove it!

No comments:

Post a Comment