Sunday, January 16, 2011

Ba bye Venezuela, hellooooo Trinidad!



Arrived safely in Port of Spain after a good 3 hours sleep last night. Today I feel like I must have gained 10 pounds since I’ve been away from home, I feel gross from my arms to my stomach to my thighs. All that fried food; fried chicken, French fries, fried cheese etc. has really gotten to me I think. Yuck. So far I like Trinidad. It’s certainly friendlier and less chaotic than Venezuela for sure. And, I get to speak English again finally. The hotel is older but my room is nice (got an upgrade of course since I’m a frequent Goldpoints travelor) and this came with some free cookies, a nice glass of complimentary rum punch and a whole lot of disturbances. I got two knocks on my door today, one for some sort of maintenance check or something, another for the cookies, and two phone calls, one to make sure my room was satisfactory and another to make sure my food was satisfactory. The second phone call woke me from my sleep which pissed me off, but how can I get mad about them making sure everything is perfect. So I answered and tried not to express a sleepy, pissed off voice. The plane I was in today was called a dash-8, it had propellers and was fairly small plane, and luckily a fairly pleasant flight.

Caracas’ crazy personality didn’t show itself the way it did went I went to Curacao and had to wait 3 hours to get through the gate. Today was a fairly smooth transition through to safety in the terminal away from Crazy Caracas and I was grateful. I even got an “oh you’re an analista? I thought you were a modela” from the immigration official. Thanks dude, you brightened up my morning a little. Oh Latin men. Though it would have been nice to sleep a few extra minutes instead of having the extra time.

I like the Caribbean-english accent. So far the food is decent (I even ventured to eat salad without getting sick), and people have been friendly. Not one person has yet second-guessed my strange price questions; “how much do you charge by hour for manual labor on cars?” (Really, when you are going in for an oil change or a body service, why does this matter?) Regardless, much better than Venezuela. Happy I don’t need to go back again this trip. I got a text message from my bizzaro taxi driver in PLC tonight. Apparently he just wanted to know if I was in Trinidad or if I had left from there. Not sure why that matters, but he’s bizarro so I guess it shouldn’t make sense anyways. I kinda miss Spanish already. Well, not really, but it was nice to get some practice in. OK it’s once again much too late; goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment