Monday, January 17, 2011

Being waited on hand and foot


My arrival yesterday was pretty classic. I just got in from a nice flight from Bangalore where I had a great conversation with the guy next to me. Normally, or recently rather during transit times I tend to keep to myself for the most part. He spoke English pretty clearly but his accent was a bit difficult to interpret at times. He thought I should consider the “happiness factor” when I do my studies as well, which is an interesting concept. Especially after reading The Geography of Bliss. Though, I explained that the happiness of the locals isn’t nearly the same as that of the expats.

When we were about to land, we started going down and then went back up again. I was wondering what the heck was going on but it was nothing but a delay with air traffic control. Upon arrival to the airport, literally just as I was about to get my bag and was thinking about how I was going to get to the hotel, I heard “Ms. Basler?” Someone from the Taj was waiting for me despite that I never asked for it. He helped with my bags, get me into the hotel car where I was given cold water and a cold towel, at which time the driver asked me if it was OK to move the car. Really? Followed by, would I like to listen to some music? I was greeted immediately upon arrival to the hotel (but not before my driver announced we were approaching the hotel) by three different people; the hostess, the doorman, and the bellhop. Each doing their duties. I didn’t even check in, I was taken immediately to my room where my passport was taken to be scanned, the bellhop came to bring my bags, and a glass of fresh juice also came. Man I had a lot of tips to dish out. My room is smaller than at the ITC, but I really don’t mind that. Everything, from lights to curtain commands to TV is situated on a “keypad” right next to my bed. Pretty impressive. My shower has three settings, rainfall from all the way at the top, the regular one from the shower head, and a massaging one with water that comes from 6 heads on the side. What more could you want? It appears that people here will wait on you hand and foot. Really neat, but I just wonder if it will get to a point where it will be annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment