Monday, January 17, 2011

Leaving Chennai, into Pune


Despite having been in India for quite a while, I still don’t know what’s customary to tip. I wish I did know, cause I’m probably wasting a ridiculous amount of money, to be honest. Though today, after my cyclonic plane ride to India (will get to that in a second). Some kid grabbed my bags to help him, thinking he was from the airline (they don’t accept tips). He wasn’t. At the end, I gave the brat 10 rupees which was fair, definitely not over the top and he had the nerve to say to me “little rupees”, I was like… excuse me? “Too little rupees” he said. Well I should have slapped that kid and told him to give me my money back! I didn’t know what to say so I blurted out, “no it’s not. I didn’t ask for your help,” and then I walked away. I should have also said “I’ve been in India for 4 weeks now. I know better.” Arghhhhhhhh so frustrating. So, so frustrating. 2 people together in India is great (or more), 1 is just not fun.

So yep, I flew out of Chennai in a cyclone. Of course it was bumpy, and it was kinda scary too. The rain was pounding and the wind was swirling. Almost all the other flights out were delayed or cancelled and almost all the flights in were postponed or diverted to other airports. Not sure why mine as not delayed or cancelled. I have mixed feelings about that. As a 5* airline, would time or safety be worth more? Getting in on time as planned? Or making sure you get in as planned safely? Anyway, I made it. Even as we made it well above to 32,000 feet or whatever that height tends to be we were still surrounded by clouds and turbulence. They didn’t even do their tea and coffee services due to turbulence! What a nerve (kidding).

My hotel is lovely, can always count on Westins. They are so sleek and modern, usually. There is even a separate (but semi see-through) enclave for the toilet, but you can see everything besides into the bathroom. Scandalous I think. I’m going to have to take a walk and take some pics of the villages down the street. From skyview only, Pune looks like a modern, metropolitan city. It’s beautiful at night, (and probably at dawn…) throughout the day there is frequent chanting which sounds like it’s coming from a temple somewhere in the distance. And the haze and birds all around make me feel like I really am in Asia. Well for good reason, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment