Monday, January 17, 2011

Trying not to die in India


For my first realtor meeting, I showed up in a cute little dress. I didn’t think twice, but maybe my cute little dress is a little low-cut for Indian standards. They have saris which cover all of their upper area, and my dress subtly might show off my cleavage. Appropriate for most standards in most countries, but not here. As soon as the elevator touched down and I saw her, she looked me up and down. And may have looked at my chest a little too long. Not sure that meant she liked it or she thought it was a little too much. So, for my second meeting, I changed.

Today… I left the hotel. Via tuk tuk, fearing for my life on a little mini go-cart with no protection and my office, dressed-up black skirt and long sleeved white button down shirt on. I forgot how hot it would be out there. I wasn’t prepared for the tuk tuk, for sure. It was a wild ride to the photocopying office place, but I survived. I also went shopping tonight for a little while, and once again found someone who wanted to come with me of course. I bought a super cute pair of sandals for $35, (and another shirt from my FAV store Vero Moda…) and tried to get convinced to PLEASE stop at my friend’s shop and have a look around. Again, I got the “I’ll get a gift for Diwali, please…” man it’s annoying here. Even at the hotel, when I asked the concierge for things to do this weekend, he wouldn’t stop trying to sell me a $400 day package. Come on… can’t you see I’m not THAT rich?

If I have another one, I will very sadly be going on my fifth allergic reaction since I’ve been here. Ridiculous. I almost had an anxiety attack while eating dinner tonight because I’m so scared of having another allergic reaction. I have absolutely no idea what I was allergic to last night. After I got allergic, (wasn’t sure if it was the food or the medicine), I puked up the little amount I had gotten down at dinner. And then, I had the effing allergic reaction all over again because whatever it was came up through my throat again, but I was sans chewy benedryl. So, I had to rip open a packet of strips (it was a major pain in the ass, especially being life-threatening and you have to use scissors to open the packet. Really? What were the engineers of this product thinking?

No comments:

Post a Comment