Sunday, January 16, 2011

Caracas airport hell, again

I don’t like Caracas. I really don’t like transiting through Caracas. My flight leaving Curacao was delayed (I’m actually very happy I had to leave so early (left hotel 7:15 am), if I had really seen what a beautiful day today was going to be I would have cried leaving my hotel I think.) I was already running late and then I went the wrong way on accident, then I took a wrong turn into the airport parking lot where I couldn’t get through cause I needed to swipe my airport ID. I had to make everyone in back of me back up so that I could get out. Luckily no one beeped and yelled swear words at me. I am here now at the airport … I’ve been here for 4 hours, and it’s just an insane place. I had to go out into the public area to check in again and one of the “helpers” chased me down so he could make a few bucks. I didn’t mind this so much, but he asked me about 10 times if I wanted to exchange USD for bolivares. And no, I really didn’t want to. Of course I told him I was here for tourism so he tried to be “really nice” and tell me the ins and outs including, what I should be paying for an exchange rate (he really wanted me to buy through him) at 6 bolivares per USD. I know better that the exchange rate (Black market) is actually 8 something. I didn’t want to give him more information about my reasons for being here in Venezuela, so I just went along with it and told him, insistently every time that no I didn’t want to buy any currency. Looking back on it, he was one of those people that the travel websites warn you about. They have identifications saying they work at the airport when in fact they don’t, they are hired to try and screw foreigners. Well, I guess maybe that’s not exactly the case. The rate he offered was actually not bad. But I can’t imagine what would have happened if he actually tried to blackmail me and then I got caught exchanging money which is illegal… When checking in they tried to tell me I had a reservation but hadn’t paid yet. This didn’t make sense and I was pissed, more people trying to rip me off. I found my proof of purchase in my bag and proudly handed it over. I wasn’t going to get screwed out of like, $100 USD. Now here I am, waiting for another delayed flight… I have to fly through this place 2 more times. Absolutely not looking forward to it. I think I need to stop being so bitter. This apartment ordeal just isn’t ending and I think when that’s finally taken care of, I’ll probably feel better. For now, I’ll be fine hanging out in my misery. Well I fell like at least, I feel a bit rejuvenated from my Curacao trip. It definitely wasn’t enough down time but I did have a chance to hang out and enjoy the sun yesterday. Too bad that the news Jenn gave me ruined a perfectly great day of fun in the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment