Sunday, January 16, 2011

Free day in Curacao, finally



My last day in Curacao was phenomenal. I slept in. It felt so good to do so. I tried not to stress too much about apartments which had been occupying all of my free time. I didn’t really know what I wanted to do, but on recommendation of my hotel I decided to check out the other Kura Hulanda Hotel which was (unbeknown to me) a hefty 45 minutes away on the other side of the island. But man, was it worth it.

I arrived at a little slice of paradise. Cliffs with a bar and a restaurant overlooking a nearly deserted beach with a beachbar and lots of beachchairs. After getting a little lunch, I rented snorkeling gear from the dive shop right next to the hotel and checked out the reef and the beautiful fishes in front of the hotel. Then I took a short little nap before heading up for an afternoon drink. One of the hotel managers invited me to a cocktail hour that I was hesitant to go to (social events can be kinda awkward when you don’t know anyone, don’t you think?) but I decided to push myself and go. The owner of the dive shop was there and we got a talking, and before I knew it, I had a dinner invitation with him and his buddies. It was my favorite day of my trip, with a great ending. The nicest people I had met. Just a group of happy-go-lucky people who were happy with their lifestyle. The guy who had invited me was from the US. He left his wife, his boring corporate job and house with a white picket fence for “something better”. This is the second person I have met on my travels who have done something like this. I find it inspiring, in a strange way. He invited me to come back again someday and said I could get free diving lessons if I did go back. I didn’t want to take the long, windy road back to my hotel. But it was time to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment