Sunday, January 16, 2011

Left airport hell and arrived in paradise: Curacao!



The airport to get from Caracas to Curacao was a nightmare. I don’t think I have ever seen such a crowded airport in my life. It literally took me 2.5 painful hours to get from the entrance to my seat in the waiting area for the flight. And, the flight was delayed cause 90% of the people coming for the flight were stuck in either the hour line for security or the hour line for customs. There were people alllllll overrrrrr the placcccccce pushing and shoving and yelling and getting annoyed and babies crying and crying and crying… I wanted to tear my hair out. People in wheel chairs and those with small children kept on cutting the lines (with staff permission) which caused the line to move absurdly slowly, and many people in front of me were yelled at. I was silently rooting on those who were yelling; hell I would have a baby right now if it meant I could skip this 2 hour line. It barely moved at all because we were being cut. I don’t know what kind of passport checks the customs man was performing.

The flight itself was actually quite pleasant. It seemed to be a smaller but newer airplane and the ride was very smooth. I felt like I knew when the bumps were coming and expected them when they didn’t. Smoooooth entrance into Curacao. Immediately on arrival I felt better. It just felt more relaxing being here. The next stress test came when I had to drive my rental car to the hotel, but it wasn’t a terrible 15 minutes, and I only got mildly lost. I haven’t used a map, well, since Turks and Caicos in February and now when I don’t have my GPS I have a heart attack at every turn or wait, was that the turn I was suppose to take?

The second I walked in the man behind the desk knew my name. And I was greeted with a fresh fruit punch. The bellhop showed me around and later greeted me by name in passing. Now that’s service that makes you feel great!

No comments:

Post a Comment