Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Is Mexico REALLY dangerous?

Stop believing what you don’t really know, people. Mexico in general is NOT dangerous. Really, it’s not. I feel totally safe here, you don’t see armed guards like in the majority of Central America, you can walk around night or day and not worry about it. My taxi driver said to me, Americans think that Mexico is so dangerous, but it’s not true. The news makes them think this. It’s just like any other major city; New York, Boston, San Francisco, Los Angeles… you can walk around day or night but you need to be careful at all times, and not wander into bad neighborhoods. I never would have thought Mexico would be as safe as it appears to be, and as everyone says it is. I have had multiple conversations with people about that here, and I truly believe it’s true. The news sure is pretty powerful.

But, you know what is dangerous? They don’t stop for red lights in Mexico. My taxi tonight took me on a little tour to see some of the nice neighborhoods. He cruised through a couple red lights. So, I asked him… you don’t need to stop for red lights in Mexico? He laughed and said: “Green means go. Yellow means go faster. Red means take a moment to look around.” I liked my taxi driver home tonight (even if he did charge me $30, well it was kinda a ways away from the hotel) and he suggested this restaurant where I met weirdo and told me I should try the French onion soup. So I did, and it was excellent. That followed with a shrimp dish. Yum.

The Mexican President, even though he lives down the street, is staying at my hotel tomorrow night. Someone important is in town. I’ve got to try to catch a glimpse of this!

No comments:

Post a Comment