Tuesday, April 12, 2011

There are no big macs at Burger King. WHOOPS!

Today I went to the mall. What a mall it was. The thing was HUGE and so much nicer than most of the malls I have been to in the US. Every single high-end brand you could think of and then some. I had found a restaurant I was interested in checking out, so I left the mall and asked the cabby if he could take me to “Palms”. Hmmmm… he was confused. He asked his cabby buddies, they seemed confused too. So in the car I went and we would look for it. We did 3 loops of the neighborhood and I had decided to give up, I told him he could leave me there and I would find somewhere else to go, there were so many restaurants around. But no, he wasn’t giving up. He wanted to know much more than I did what the deal with this restaurants was. So, we asked one person. No idea. The second one told us where it was, so we did another loop. But again, we didn’t see it. We asked a third person who said it was in the same place that the previous guy mentioned. What the heck? What are we missing? And then finally, the 4th and LAST person we asked was able to tell us it was now called “Tomate y Amor” instead! PHEW! I made sure to give the guy a couple extra bucks for being so determined and helpful.

Today I went up to a Burger King fast food joint and asked for the price for a Big Mac. WHOOPS!! I will never do that again. The poor lady was horrified. And the guy next to me just laughed at me. How embarrassing.

I had a great waiter tonight. It was kinda unintentional. I was walking in circles trying to decide what I wanted to do for dinner. Walked outside with the intention of getting a cab. A waiter saw me walk out the door and immediately said hello, and asked if I wanted a soda to go with the fries I had just bought from burger king because a) I was starving from not eating anything all day and b)I felt bad about asking for the price for a big mac at Burger King. I said no that’s alright, and he said “it’s on me”. Well, that in Spanish. So, I said sure then, why not. I can sit and decide what I want to do for dinner and do a little work while I’m at it. So, my super ambitious plan of going back the hotel and freshening up before heading out again fizzled out and I just decided to eat there at the restaurant. Aside from the pumping techno music that was meant to make people feel like they were at Nikki Beach in Miami (complete with white décor everywhere) it was a nice little spot, and I had a seat outside so I could people watch when my eyes weren’t glued to my second blackberry writing down prices. There was a little small talk here and there with him, and I even got a free mojito (good drinks down this way!) and he called a taxi for me when I was going home. I’m not sure if he was “interested” in me or not, he really just came across as being friendly and curious. Not over the top about it, and he rarely came around to chit chat. Not a very attractive man, but there was definitely something about him that came across as genuine. I could just see it, and it was comforting in a way.

No comments:

Post a Comment