Monday, April 11, 2011

Yeah I'm alone on Valentine's Day, what of it?




I love driving around the countryside in Costa Rica. It’s a feast for the eyes. Lots of golden yellow and light grassy greens, along with rain clouds in the distance hovering over the mountains/volcanoes that sometimes produce rainbows. San Jose itself is a small, kinda crappy city but the surrounding towns are tiny and very farm-like. Very different from anywhere I have been, it’s fairly developed and modern, but at the same time it has a very rustic, humble, farm-like feel to it. Everywhere. I guess all the cows and donkeys, coffee, pineapple and banana plantations, and rows and rows of fields help promote that view. But the traffic sucks.

Speaking Spanish is becoming more and more comfortable. Well the listening part even more. I still cheat and ask if they speak English, but most of the time I speak spanglish or just Spanish, cause they probably understand my Spanish more than they can speak/understand English. It’s very rewarding. I had a 20 minute conversation with someone in a store today and only had to say “what?” a couple times. Proud of myself. Of course the conversation ended with him wanted to touch my “rubia” hair and asking if I had a boyfriend in Costa Rica. No old man, I’m going back to work now.

Had Peruvian food for dinner tonight. Quite good, it was my second time to this restaurant (I came two years ago). I avoided whatever his name was who was working at the restaurant next door. It was successful. I was wondering why the restaurants were so very busy today, and then remembered it was Valentine’s day. I was the only one there alone in a restaurant full of lovers and pretty dressed up girls, so very sad if you think about it. But I wasn’t sad. I sang along to the sappy love songs and hope everyone looked at me and realized how content I was, and wondered what the hell I was doing out alone on Valentine’s day. I just finished the San Jose survey gosh darn it!

No comments:

Post a Comment