Monday, April 11, 2011

Tacos are better in Mexico


Ended up going to bed late last night. Didn’t set an alarm for today, and woke up after 11 am. Yikes! Quickly I got going to visit the second grocery store which went a little faster than the first. I arrived and they had me wait around forever cause the manager was busy, apparently. So, after about 20 minutes I just accidentally slipped away until I got stopped by a guard about an hour later. I just gave him the authorization letter I had which he gladly accepted and kept on truckin. Oh, it’s just so much better to have permission and be able to relax. So much better. And even awesomer to flash a permission letter in everyone’s face. Hell, I didn’t even really mind when I got approached by person after person at Paiz (owned by Walmart) so I could shove that permission letter in their face. Ya that’s right bitch, I’m walking right past you. Adelante, you got that one right.

Security is tight in this area which is good. Very tight. Armed guards all over the place with their big badass guns, pretty normal for Central America. I decided for dinner to take a walk out of the hotel to see what I could find, as long as the roads in front of me were well-lit and I could see people around. There were plenty of restaurants in that kind of walking distance, and men with large guns on every single corner. There was even one corner with about 10 of them dressed in army gear, I’m not sure what was going on. I ended up at a taco place with pretty decent tacos actually, and ended up with 4 margaritas… oops. I invited Jose to come for a drink if he wanted to, and of course he did. I actually had a good time with him, and realized that his English was better than I expected. It was funny to hear him say that no one does tacos/Mexican food like Mexico does it. I totally believe him, and I’m looking forward to trying that out. He had this way of staring which was actually an “I’m listening” stance, but it make me a little nervous cause I really felt like I was being stared at. Jose was nice, interested, but not over the top like his emails have been. A smart, educated guy who works for a company that makes prosthetics. He’s on the road more than I am. We spoke about how everyone thinks that Mexico City is so dangerous, but it’s not the part that’s having problems. The border of the US is where all the danger lies; but people don’t realize that it doesn’t actually stem from Mexico City. 2 people said that to me before I left to come down here.

I didn’t know that people still actually had these, but I’ve seen lots and lots of gold teeth. Or are they just made of metal now, I’m not sure. And many people that look like they have braces, but I’m not sure if that’s right. The people look so indigenous here. Like you would picture the Mayan people, or maybe the Indian people to look like. Speaking of indigenous, most of the people who live here are indigenous. I think 60% of the country, and within that amount, I was told that there are 22 different languages that are spoken within the country, indigenous tongue. Pretty impressive!

No comments:

Post a Comment