Wednesday, April 13, 2011

What not to lose while in Mexico

I had a meeting at starbuck’s across the street this morning with a realtor. Nice lady, from Ottawa Canada. Married a Mexican and it didn’t work out, 2 kids later. Susan told me about this contamination sticker that you need to get in Mexico every 6 months, 1 year, or 2 years depending on your car. And, once your car reaches either 8 or 10 years old, you are not allowed to drive it every day! If you get caught with not having the sticker, or with the wrong license plate number (it’s the last number that determines) on an off day, your car gets impounded. Or you pay off the Mexican police, whichever works better for you.

There is heightened security throughout the hotel today since the president is here. Unfortunately I didn’t catch a glimpse of him, and I meant to get a pic of all the bodyguards/secret service or whatever they were hanging around but I forgot. Oh well. I felt like I was back in India again. Though this time they went a little further and even needed to shift through my purse. Well, I gotta give it to them, you never know what you could find in that purse of mine. I find things I forgot about all the time. Maybe a semi automatic weapon would be one of them.

One thing I am going to try NOT to lose while here? The immigration paper that was given to me at the airport. They didn’t make as big a deal about it as they should have when I arrived, but one of my co-workers lost hers and needed to pay about 50 USD AND write a letter to the Mexican government about how sorry and stupid it was for her to lose that paper, beg them to let her leave the country, she had to tell them how Mexico is the best country in the world, and if she were a millionaire she would invest wholeheartedly in it. Well, not really. But you get the gist of it. I have never seen anything like that before – (well, missing a travel visa is one thing, but immigration papers is a totally different ballgame, or I would have thought so).

After my meeting with Susan, I went to lunch. I looked around sheepishly and noticed I was one of about 3 women only in the whole of about 70 people in the restaurant. Talk about outnumbered. It’s OK though, a large population of those people were made up of really good-looking soccer players; Los Santos, apparently one of the major soccer leagues in Mexico. I only know that cause I just googled them. Oh well I don’t really care, what I do care about is that they were nice to look at.

1 comment:

  1. I like to change the plate number of my Car to a number plate makers that could follow the design the I wanted.

    ReplyDelete