Saturday, January 7, 2012

Bright colors? NOT here!



Nothing much happened on my first day. I hibernated a bit and just went across the street for dinner. I didn’t have any problems with nuts but for some reason I ate something that made my lip blow up. No idea what that was from. Ohhhh nuts…..

That night, was just, well; a pain in the ass. I fell asleep super early, like super ME early. Like, 10:30 I couldn’t keep my eyes open so I went to bed. I was woken up not too long after that by some really loud voices. They must have been right outside my door and these walls are so thin. There was arguing, yelling, and then I heard: “Sir, you are in 301? I can get you your room key. Sir, they are sleeping, please sir. Sir, come with me. Sir. Please sir. In between there was lots of slurring. I couldn’t tell what happened but I imagined that this guy came home drunk and tried to get into the wrong room. But, what do I know. Then I heard another couple getting ready for bed. Showering. Then having sex. Oh brother when was it going to end. I slept really lightly until 4 am when I really passed out. I woke up at 7 to my alarm but kept snoozing until just after 8.

Finally I got up and headed out, I was going for a run. I thought I noticed people looking at me strangely, or rather; for some reason I was attracting attention. I did notice a handful of blondes, so it couldn’t have been that. Then it came to me: everyone was wearing a black jacket. Very somber and everyone blended in. Me? I had on a bright red t-shirt. No wonder! I decided to wait to start running until I got to the boulevard where the Caspian Sea is, to avoid attracting even more attention. It was a nice little trail, of more somber, black-coated people but with the occasional bright-shirt runner. I fit in a little better here. The sea smelled of a combination of low-tide and raw oil. Pretty much what I expected after my conversation with my co-worker Alex. Baku silently speaks “luxury” which really, I never would have guessed. Especially since all surrounding towns and villages are far from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment