Thursday, January 12, 2012

Sydney! Finding words of wisdom along the way



Today was a bit of a lazy day, especially since I went to bed so late last night. I loved waking up with the big bay window shining the sunlight from the harbor over me. The maid came in and I tried to explain to her that I was switching rooms and maybe she should wait until my room was switched (um, that makes total sense right?) but she wanted to do it while I was there. But then, she changed her mind for some reason. My room was switched from the first floor, two single beds to the 9th floor, with a beautiful view, a sitting area and a queen-sized bed. Ahhh much better. I did some resistance exercising then headed out on the city to do some research and get some food.

The Shangri-La and the Four Seasons were a couple of my stops along the way. The service didn’t seem to be as precisely perfect as I remember it being in Boston. No one really stopped me to ask if I needed any help, and neither was I greeted by anyone. Not that I wanted to be, it’s a bit difficult to be inconspicuous when you have people noticing you anyways! I got dinner at a bar. I was a bit disappointed, but it was one of my stops for survey so I had to go there anyway. It made the “hey, can you tell me the price of a beer and an espresso?” a little less awkward. Sydney is a beautiful city, and I’m staying right in the middle of it all. Modern, apparently great food (though I’ll have to work on finding it), and a beautiful skyline, of which I have a great view. Watching the sun going down tonight was pretty amazing. Thank goodness I have a camera that is good at capturing sunset colors. It’s a little chilly here at night. The daytime was perfect. (Better than dealing with a snowstorm at home, that’s for sure.) I hope it stays that way!

Tonight I had an inspirational talk with my Italian waiter, after a very filling, yet delicious meal of vegetarian house-made tagliatelli pasta and delicious bruschetta. (My hotel is in such a great location right smack dab in the downtown on the water in “Darling Harbour”. What a nice name). Anyways, well, it was more like he was talking at me, for quite a long time, but it’s ok because he got his point across. This also ties in with my thoughts about Qantas. People are SO greedy. We forget what’s really important. Was it so ridiculous that Qantas’ CEO had a salary increase from 3.4 to 5 MILLION dollars amongst a huge controversy about lack of pay increases from employees? Are the labor unions being ridiculously greedy in their requests? Did the CEO put nothing but power and greed into his thought to halt the airline for the weekend holding up hundreds of thousands of passengers? Yep, yep to everything, and especially the ridiculousness of the CEO’s salary. WHY is that necessary, especially amongst what’s happening. You have unhappy employees, and you’re rubbing exactly what they want and more into their faces. You can’t run a good business if you can’t keep your employees happy, nevermind even get along with them in the first place.

Our world has become a place of greed where money is the ultimate importance, moreso than family, friends, love, gratitude, kindness, time, and genuine character. I doubt we will ever get this back again, and how sad that is. Our innocence as a society and the underlying need for basic necessity has become so inflated and now we “need” things that we don’t, like an addiction, and we’ll do anything to fulfill that need.

No comments:

Post a Comment