Sunday, January 8, 2012

I will send you an email, godwilling that I'm not too lazy to do so



A guy knocked on my door to check my phones today when I got home from my northwest coastal beaches trip. I thought it was a little sketchy, but he had on the uniform and even had the card with the door opener, which I knew because he opened it before I could get to the door. He was normal though, even though I thought the fact that he was checking the phones was bizarre. On his way out, he said “off the record, you are absolutely beautiful. As we say in Trinidad, don’t change what you’re doing”. How flattering! Then I went and took a much needed nap.

At the sports store today a good-looking guy came to talk to me to ask if I needed any help. We chatted for a few minutes about business, he wanted to know what I was doing and why I was doing it. After a few minutes of chatting with him, it hit me. Wow, this guy is attractive! Tall, dark, very muscely. In fact, he is a personal trainer who was working at the store part-time to promote the workout equipment. On my way out he said something awkward to me like, so you’re here and you don’t know where anything is. How do you get around? Do you want me to take you around? I could tell he wanted to ask me out but didn’t really know how to do it. Anyways, I have more important things to do than fraternize!

My room is a little creepy. My balcony is just above the ground and someone could easily climb up on it and then who knows. I’ve lost sleep thinking about it! Especially after some of those conversations I’ve had with the people who live here, about them being attacked and having their home broken into.

Went to Veni Mange for lunch today and it was just as amazing as I remember it to be. Fresh grilled fish, beans, plantains, rice, yucca, greens, and a delicious garlic sauce. Couldn’t have been a better lunch! I love that restaurant. The owner was so flattered to hear that I came 2 years ago and made it a point to stop in again because I liked it so much.

Got an email tonight from someone in St. Lucia. Hi Lauren, I received your email late. I will send you the email tomorrow (God willing). God willing, God willing what? That you’ll forget you’re in the Caribbean and might actually do some work? (Man that was mean, but it’s kinda true!) Thought it was pretty funny.
Bye bye, once again Trinidad…

No comments:

Post a Comment