Sunday, January 8, 2012

Saba, what beauty





Saba is a beautiful place – really is like a little Switzerland, just as I was told that it was. There are rolling hills and mountains full of wildlife. I would say that half the population is white, the other half black. Flying in, there were two planes that took off one after the other. In my plane was only me and two others. In the other plane, there was only a family of three as well. Why two planes when we could have used just one? Lots of students leaving the island. Going home for break or they just graduated. Flying in was nuts, I took a rough video recording of it. A man sitting just in front of me was, so I decided I would do it too. It was a bit hard to sneak in the footage between him and the pilots, but I got a little something. It was already a bit rocky flying in, but I could tell it was going to be a solid landing on the shortest commercially served airport/airstrip in the world. When we were flying in, it looked as though we were going to hit the side of the cliff because we had to land just after passing the side. Luckily I was too preoccupied with my videotaping to really pay attention. We stopped immediately after landing. It was crazy. Looking back on that adventure from land, and seeing the other airplane land was just surreal. This place was gorgeous, and the driving really isn’t much different from the flying. The only main road is big enough to fit only one medium-large size car, (though cars drive down them on both sides) and they are windy and have stone walls meant to prevent drivers from falling off the edge of the cliffs. All the roofs of the houses are required, I believe, to be a tan-red color. Further, Saba is a mountain, or a volcano. All of it. So really, it looks like a Caribbean Switzerland.

No comments:

Post a Comment