Sunday, January 8, 2012

Sketchy Rasta-dude

I love the Caribbean accent here. And the way they talk to each other. Like they are mad at each other, but not; it’s just in the accent and the culture of the local language. Must be fun to adapt to….

Maybe a little sketched out. Tonight, I decided what the heck, might as well check out the second largest Chinese grocery store to help out my research. It’s amazing how little these Chinese people care about you taking down their prices. In China it’s a whole other world. Anyways, to get there I had asked someone at my hotel with help with direction and ended up following someone there, and it’s a good thing I did because otherwise I would have gotten so lost. I was driving back and had no idea where I was going when I turned left instead of right. I had found the Fruit Tree, a restaurant that I had hoped to find. I sat down and ordered some food. The manager of the restaurant started asking me questions about my work and a couple people behind overheard; I could see out of the corner of my eye that they had been listening. Turns out, they were part of the Dutch Defense Ministry and we all joked about it for a while. I got an invitation to have a beer with some other older guy (originally American) that I took up when I had finished my meal. It was me and a whole lot of Dutch people; nice people, and then a girl who I could tell was a little jealous her boyfriend was talking to me. Oh well, deal with it. They were telling me stories about how the Dutch women fall for the locals and it’s always bad news. I close up shop and check out. Who is waiting for me? Emerald, the Rastafarian dude from the night before. It struck me that he is kinda Busta Rhymes-ish looking. At the bar, 4 beers deep. I told him that I was going to bed, so I left. I had to pass him outside the bar where I knew he would be hanging out at and I waved and he yelled after me, multiple times. Didn’t acknowledge it. Then, he had walked down from upper town to lower town where my hotel was, so guess who showed up right after I had parked my car? I was a little sketched out but didn’t actually expect anything to happen. And it didn’t. I told him I had to go to bed and then left, (but nice try!) I saw him one other night at Cool Corner and had dinner while listening to him talk about past relationships and such. Apparently he thought this would be a good way to woo me. I can assure you that didn’t happen and I left Statia as planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment