Saturday, January 7, 2012

Friendly Serbians! Who knew....



At one of the grocery stores, I open-booked my survey. Just took out my book and went on writing. One guy said to me “hi, can I help you?” So I told him I was doing a cost of living survey. He asked, “do you have some authorization? No… then I was sure he was going to tell me to stop. Au contraire… he said “well, I think it’s ok for this time. You know now for the future. Can I help you find anything?” and then he proceeded to explain all the different wines and beers to me. Wherever I went and he was there, he continued to do the same. Never had that happen before! Usually when I don’t have permission, that’s it. I’m done. Not this time. Speaking of which, people in Serbia are nicer than I had expected. I picture former Yugoslavian/Soviet Union people to be cold (and I’ve heard just over the border in Bulgaria they are), but not here. They have been very warm, welcoming and open.

Ahhhh Vera Moda. You are here and I love you. I didn’t have time to see you while in Belgrade, but I hope to go back early to Belgrade so I can see you before I leave. Definitely could use a little shopping break…

Ughhh I think I will be full for a month. I went to a really good restaurant with local food, (had a cute waiter…) and watched some fun entertainment. There was a band, and if I were to close my eyes and forget where I was, I would have thought I was in Italy. The music sounded Italian. (When the band stopped playing, there was an old song that came on and they were singing about Massachusetts? Not sure I had ever heard it before, but I thought it was really funny). I asked the waiter to recommend something good to eat, so he did. And man, it was good but I think I ate enough to hibernate for the winter. It was pork with cheesy, hammy goodness inside and a lot of French fries covered in cheese and some sort of grease. Heart-attack city, but so worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment