Tuesday, January 17, 2012

On to New Plymouth, New Zealand...



I hate to say it, but I do try to be honest. People, more specifically women – are very homely in New Zealand, or New Plymouth more specifically. Far from attractive people, it’s a bit bizarre. I tried to find one today, I looked into the faces of these women with not a touch of makeup, terrible style, out of shape, some with boy cuts, some with brightly-dyed hair, and some with huge freak-styled earrings that enlarge the skin on your ear. Ewwww, why? I actually saw one good-looking guy working as a bartender today at one of the places I went to get prices. I could tell he thought I was cute, he was a bit flirty. Damn, I don’t mean to be mean but I’m probably one of the best looking females in this town. And that is something I have never said before, and neither am I overly confident in my looks. The people were not as friendly as I had expected, but then again I am coming from Fiji. I don’t think you can compare the kindness of the two people.

Started the day with a bit of an accident, I’m in a handicapped room and there is absolutely no barrier for the water in the shower. Without realizing it, I aimed the water a bit too far out and when I went to make sure my clothes weren’t getting wet, I realized that the water had run WAY out of the shower, my bathroom was now flooded and the carpet in the walkway was now soaked. Shit. I used up a lot of towels and did a lot of wringing them out to try and clean it up!

I walked around the whole town today, and finished about half of the work in about 5 hours. Ridiculously easy because everything is so close together. Very sleepy little town, but they certainly have lots of good food despite the smallness of it. I ate at a lovely French restaurant tonight. A couple people said to me “you don’t sound like you’re from around here” and when I say I’m from the US they are relatively surprised. So, what the heck are you doing all the way over here, and in New Plymouth of all places? And yes, so starts the inevitable conversation which usually takes no less than 10 minutes every time. So far, I haven’t met anyone who knows anyone from my part of the states. My waiter offered for him and his flatmate to take me around the city tomorrow, or outside the city to the volcano, Mt. Talanaki. I told him I was interested, we will see!

No comments:

Post a Comment