Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Out n about with Antony






Had a really nice, relaxing day today. Antony (the waiter from last night) called me and asked if I wanted him to pick me up at the hotel. Ya, why not? He picked me up and off we went, out of town. We drove through the beautiful, electric green fields full of herds of cows with Mt. Taranaki as the backdrop. It was breathtaking. We made awkward conversation but he wasn’t all that difficult to open up to. We entered Egmont National Park and drove in a little way until we got to the tourist station where there was a little cafĂ©. We sat and sipped tea as we got to know each other better. Antony is a transplant from India who decided he wanted to get out of India, following boarding school. So, he left seven years ago and has never looked back. He just recently went home on holiday, first time in seven years since he had seen his family in person. I can’t imagine. He said since he has left his whole life view has changed; his parents want to see him working for a corporate chain, he just wants to make a good living while enjoying life. Antony is a young free spirit, full of life and idealisms, and it was invigorating to hang out with him. He’s a truly genuine, caring person whose eyes light up when he remembers something fondly, or when he talks about something he feels passionate about, and I admire him for that. He seems to think that New Zealand made him this way, and even his parents have noticed the changes, and it doesn’t seem as though they like it. He went from a money-hungry culture to focusing more importance on enjoying life. I like it when he says “it’s good to have a laugh”. Simple, but makes so much sense – most of the time when we are enjoying life we are smiling and laughing. Laughter truly is a great medicine.

Anyways, after our cup of peppermint tea (with raw honeycomb, I might add!!!) we went on a short but lovely walk up the mountain, stopping only for a few pictures. I huffed and puffed up to mid-way, the sight of a beautiful lookout where suddenly there is no trees only a barren walkway. Unfortunately, the clouds surrounded Taranaki today. If I had only knew…. I arrived on a day when the sky was completely clear and the whole mountain could be seen for miles away. I would have taken a picture damnit!!!

After our walk he dropped me at my hotel and I had some chips and hummus, and then I passed out pretty hardcore. Must have been exhausted. But we were going to dinner tonight. He picked me up an hour late, (my kind of man!) and we took a brief walk along the beautiful coastline. Full-on ocean right here. Then we both ate hearty pasta meals at one of the best restaurants in town, Portofino’s. Family owned and operated. He dropped me home and here I am. Hospitality at its’ best, someone reaching out to show kindness and asking for nothing in return but a good conversation. Oh, tear. (Yep a little bit). I really think I have seen the best of humanity in some of my travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment