Thursday, January 12, 2012

Simon from Darwin


Simon, the guy I met in Darwin wrote to me today and asked if I wanted to meet up for a drink. Hell why not? I think I will.

I ended up having a great time with Simon. He seems to be a really interesting person. He’s a part-time pilot and has some sort of a voice-over business, I have no idea what that means. He was a radio show host in London. And, I only know all this because I stalked him online before I met up with him. A girl’s gotta know what kind of guy she’s meeting up with, right? It’s justified. We met at a hotel bar around 6 which was a bit further than I expected, in which case I ended up being 15 minutes late. I asked a guy who was sitting there who only slightly resembled him if he was Simon, but that only ended in embarrassment. Oh man, did he think I wasn’t coming? Is he upstairs in the restaurant? Finally I called him, he had never received my email back apparently, about the time we were meeting up. Phew, he didn’t think that I stood him up. So he came right over to the hotel after that incident. We chatted about this and that which almost always reverted back to travel. Took a real great picture at the end. He was heading off to London for a couple weeks or so, otherwise he said he would have loved to show me around. It’s almost OK that he was leaving, I don’t like feeling obligated with sticking with someone. But it was really nice to have a sit down chat with him, for sure. Later he sent me the picture he took of us and some pretty detailed instructions on how to get to my appointment on Friday. What a sincerely nice, sweet guy. Now, he’s someone I hope I keep in touch with.

Today was the Melbourne cup and I was really bummed that I didn’t sit down and watch the races. The only time I caught glimpse of them was in a department store, ha. How sad is that. Women were dressed to the nines and mostly looked lovely, while others looked skanky, but they pretty much all sported some pretty interested hats/decorative hairpieces. I should have stole one ;) My brain at times switched to wonder if they were dressed up for Halloween, since it was right around that time! Surprisingly, I didn’t see a whole lot of costumes. I thought I would have in Australia.

I paid $70 to catch a cab to get gas prices at one gas station today. How sad is that? And I went out to eat at a pizza place for dinner and spent $50 on a soda water, margharita pizza and a small salad. How’s that for putting it into perspective. Australia is not cheap!!

No comments:

Post a Comment