Monday, January 16, 2012

Something I need everywhere: A waitress out to save my life


I went to ask for prices at a café in the mall today, and after being approached while staring at the menu, there was a man with a massive curly cue mustache staring up at me. I had to look away quickly in order to prevent myself from laughing out loud. The funniest part of it was that he was so “proper” in the way that he spoke. It was so difficult not to burst out laughing!

I’m pretty proud of myself; I went out 3 times in Sydney, with 2 different guys. Though, I was actually asked out 4 times because the guy from the ferry who invited me out counts, I think! Good odds, 3 out of 6 evenings! I did end up going out with Shawn again (the strange accent guy). I warned him that I couldn’t be out late because I had an early morning meeting. We ate at a Thai restaurant and the waitress was very concerned about my allergies. I told her no nuts, and no fenugreek. When she didn’t know what fenugreek was, I wrote SPICE next to it. I think she then became nervous I was allergic to all spices and limited what I could order. When we wanted to get the chicken wings, she told me that I couldn’t have them. Just like that, straight out. No, you can’t. Almost like my free will was taken from me. She said spring rolls only, so that’s what we had for an app. I loved her sternness, I have never had a waitress so insistent on what I could and could not eat! Shawn wanted me to ask him to hang out in my room, but it wasn’t going to happen. He actually said to me, invite me up to your room. I was like, what? What’s wrong with you guy, who actually says that to a girl? He asked me a couple times before finally giving up. Ya that’s right, go back home. The next day, I realized that he had left me with the $40 parking fee charged to my room to pay on my own. I’m sure he didn’t realize until he got to his car, and by that time he was probably thinking, oh well – f that I didn’t get laid, she can pay for something!

In hindsight, I like it here in Sydney, and would definitely like to at least visit once again sometime. Hopefully with some friends next time.
Coffee culture in Australia is amazing. There is a café on every corner, and people go out for numerous cups of joe everyday. As a realtor put it, each person in the office goes to a different café of their preference, and have it made by the barrister of their choice. Coffee in Australia is like wine in France, I do believe. I had quite a few good cups of it myself while I was there!

Shawn mentioned to me that if you look around, you’ll find laid-back men with sneakers, a wifebeater, shorts, tattoos everywhere (they are very popular in Australia) and a supermodel girlfriend, dressed to the nines. Goes to show you how laid back Australia is. I saw one who looked like she could be one myself when I was leaving Manly beach. Big sunglasses, perfectly toned calves, short mini skirt and a fur coat toting around a supercute toddler.

No comments:

Post a Comment