Saturday, January 7, 2012

Luxury pool all to myself.... last night in Ashgabat, Turkmenistan



When the taxi man dropped me off, I asked him to write how much it was that I owed him. I SWEAR he wrote on the paper 350 (manats). I was shocked, that was a lot more than I expected. Over walks some of the employees from the hotel. They have a conversation back and forth with the driver and then, he says that for the day, you went to multiple places. That will be 75. Wow, good thing they made a showing. This guy wanted to charge me 5 times as much!

When I got in and settled, I decided to go swimming. I had to check it out. And it was just as amazing as I imagined. First off, I had the whole pool to myself. They turned on the jets for me, gave me a bathrobe, a towel and a locker. I wanted to make sure to make it to dinner so I didn’t even check out the extra rooms they had to offer; sauna, etc.

I ate dinner on the 15th floor, the beautiful French restaurant overlooking the whole city. I’m so mad I didn’t discover this place beforehand, it would have been a beautiful place to take pictures before it got dark; due to the glare from the lights. Damnit. I had a poached egg of some sort and a steak dinner. It was delicious, and a great way to end the survey. Gave me some stomach rumbles the next morning though. I had been feeling idealistic, and thought I would take a bath when I got in, but that never happened. I passed out instead, until 3 am when I had to get up and get ready to go again. I was exhausted. But actually didn’t feel that bad when I had to get up at 3 am. The picture on the top is the city at night, the lights all in a row show how perfectly organized it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment