Monday, January 9, 2012

Loving Brisbane, Australia




Hotels here are super expensive. I’m staying at a Quality Inn, though it’s not as bad as I expected. Even better, there is a cute little restaurant on the first floor called “Sea Salt” which is listed as the 63rd best restaurant in the city out of a whole slew of them. I had a delicious, nice and savory duck meal last night! The rooms are all called something different and there is a book describing the history, of the name associated with the room I’m assuming. It’s nice and spacious and has everything you would need from a hotel, besides a bellboy to help carry up my ridiculously heavy bags (how can I never get away from that??).

The girl at the front desk has never seen snow. Wow, I kinda wish I’ve never seen snow. She asked me where I was from and what it’s like there. I said Boston (I have no idea if she knows Boston) and I said it’s kinda like here. But then, I took it back. Because for someone who has never traveled, she would see a world of a difference between Brisbane and Boston.

Loving Australia, ok, well more specifically Brisbane. It’s fairly small, but the good food and drink are plentiful. The people are nice. I hardly had to speak with anyone today, but one girl at the cinema stood out. She was multitasking, cashing out people buying food and selling tickets. I asked her for the price of tickets and she starting listing them all out in detail, despite the long line building behind me. I felt bad I was holding everyone up, and I tried to “get away” without her having to go into more details that I didn’t need, but she kept going and going. Oh well! Australians must have patience. Brisbane is modern and clean, with all the western conveniences you could want (even Starbucks and Borders).

The city is built with a winding river in the middle, and this river is serviced by water taxis all day. I have yet to take one, but I sure will! The promenade is a beautiful place for a morning stroll. This jetlag thing is really helping out with that (falling asleep at 10pm and getting up at 6….)

No comments:

Post a Comment