Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Kangaroos, koalas and cavities, oh my!





Today, on my birthday, I realized that this dull, aching pain in my mouth is a cavity. My first REAL cavity – yep it’s painful and there’s a large grayish area in the back of my back molar. Sneaky little bastard. Didn’t feel it until the flight over, go figure. Nowwww what? Well, I’ll find out in the morning when I call and ask about it. So, I worried about, well - not too much. I ended up getting an emergency dental treatment. I walked in and was greeted with kindness. Australians really know how to work their kindness factor, almost to a point that I feel, well just awkward. I don’t really know how to explain it. I think I try to be that nice back and I just don’t know how to do it, haha. So anyways, I fill out some paperwork and they take me back right away. I get shown around the office; where the bathroom is, the prep lab and how clean it is, and here is the dental office. They get right to work, I have 3 people working and helping out with me all at once. They explain what they are doing step by step (with a lot of cheery voices and smiles along the way). All the equipment is new and modern stuff I have never experienced before. My dentist must be pretty old-school in comparison. I winced a little and then my lip started shaking when I could feel the novocaine going in, not much I could do about the lip-shaking. But after that, I knew that there would be no more pain. And there wasn’t, just the pressure. They worked fast, and I mean FAST. I was in and out of that room in 20 minutes and I was in a total daze – shocked that it was over already. It was so anticlimactic that I was almost disappointed, haha! But tonight, I will sleep easy.

I’m still waking up at 6 am, but it’s really not so bad. It’s nice to feel like I’m getting the whole day in. Today I saw koalas and pet and fed kangaroos. Amazing! Koalas make this really loud grunting/snorting sound to attract mates. I have to say, it’s really not too attractive. But damnnnn are those little guys cute! Unfortunately, I didn’t get around to holding one. The kangaroos are so cool. It was so nice being able to be in the fenced in area with them, and to be able to feed and pet them all you want. The little baby in the front sack is adorable. Kangaroos lay down like dogs and they scratch themselves with their two front arms and they have the strangest scrotums I’ve ever seen. Sometimes they hang down low and sometimes they’re close to their body. The Tasmanian devil was very cool, they “scream” at each other when food is coming their way and they have to fight over it.

When I got on the bus to go back, the bus driver asked me if I snuggled a koala. I hadn’t :( It cost something ridiculous like $20 to get a picture with it anyways. By the time I got on the bus, I felt so sick. My head was pounding ridiculously (must have been the worst headache I’ve ever had) and my stomach nauseas when I got on the bus, which only felt a lot worse with each twist and turn the bus made. I really considered getting off the bus a few times in fear of being real sick. I did end up making it all the way back home and then just crashed for a couple hours with advil until I wasn’t nauseas anymore. It was a bit bizarre.

Before the zoo, I still had time for a walk through the botanical gardens and lunch on the pier. For dinner, I ate again at the hotel restaurant – Sea Salt. I had Atlantic salmon that was just superb, it was sushi grade and delicious! All the accompaniments were fresh and local, well they tasted fresh and local anyways!

No comments:

Post a Comment